Monday, November 25, 2013

Stoneware Snowflakes Part 1

Every year I make Christmas ornaments for my family.  This year, I decided to make snowflakes out of speckled brown stoneware.

This first thing I do is make the wire loops for the top and bottom of each snowflake.  One for attaching a ribbon and one for hanging crystals (bling bling!).  I use high-fire wire and the back of a paintbrush to make consistent loops.

  I then condition a chunk of clay and pinch a piece off.  I like to use random-sized pieces so that the snowflakes are all different (just like real ones).  Then I roll the clay into a ball.
I place the ball of clay onto the vintage batik stamp and squish it down using a wood block (the back of a rubber stamp).
Once I remove the clay from the batik stamp, I gently flatten it again with the wood block and then slide the wire loops into place.
After the snowflakes have dried, I apply a tiny bit of water and carve my initials and the year into the back of each piece.
The next step will be to bisque fire all of them.  Then they'll get glazed and fired again.  Once that is complete, I'll cut some pretty ribbon and wire-wrap some crystals to dangle from the bottom.  In a week or so, I'll show you how they look.

Are you making ornaments this year?

Diana P.
Suburban Girl Studio LLC

6 comments :

  1. So pretty! I bet that these are cherished gifts that your friends and family truly love. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them so much!!! I also love seeing the process! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beads are always so pretty. Great tutorial. ~diana welte

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see this! I'm amazed at how deep the impression is on your stamp, but now I see why it comes out so well! These will be beautiful, I know! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delight for your family! I look forward to seeing them completed.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.