Saturday, April 6, 2013

Saturday Share:Spring Flowers...Eye Candy and Tutorial

Well, I don't know about you, but I am so ready for Spring to finally show her face!  Today, in my neck of the woods it finally is supposed to be warm and sunny.  This weekend is the noted Cherry Blossom festival in DC, but my cherry blossoms in the Maryland suburbs are definitely not festival worthy! Pretty, yes, but not quite there!


So, I decided to live vicariously by enjoying some Spring flowers created by some of my friends and colleagues and continue the Springtime tour started by Rebekah last Saturday!


All these wonderful components would be perfect to add to your AJE Earring Challenge creations!

Next are some gorgeous floral finished pieces...


Another way I have been satisfying my flower craving is to create some of my own..I have been playing with copper sheet and making some fun ones...here is one I created for my Bead Soup partner...


Here is a quick "how-to"...especially for metal newbies like me, who haven't gotten the hang of using a jewelry saw yet.

Tools/materials needed:
Copper sheet or discs - any size
set of needle files
sanding block
steel bench block
flush cutters or metal shears
texturing hammers or stamps
metal punches 
round nose pliers
dapping/punch set
patina of choice


  • use straight edge and draw lines for as many petals as you would like...they don't have to be perfect...
  • use metal punch and punch on the lines, making sure to be right on the edge...I usually do several passes until I get the depth I want.
  • with flush cutters or shears, snip the edges off to get the basic shape you want



  • repeat snipping on other side
  • using needle files, start filing...the triangle one works great in the beginning.
  • I like to finish with a soft sanding block...you can get them at the hardware store.  You can see mine is pretty well used!



  •  Using texturing hammers of your choice and steel bench block, add whatever texture  you like.  Alternatively, you can stamp designs, use brass design plates, run it through a rolling mill...I use my Big Shot! 
  • For the center, I used my center punch and made a bunch of divots
  • I usually dome mine at this point, and use my round nose pliers to curve the petals
  • These are center punched, antiqued with LOS and tumbled for a nice sheen.  
As you can see, there are all sorts of variations you can do with these...I hope you will give it a try.  I promise to keep practicing with my jewelry saw and will share that progress with you at a later date!  I am anxiously awaiting Melissa Cable's new book "Metal Jewelry in Bloom" to learn some new flower techniques! You can read a great review by our own Jen Cameron here.

Thanks for reading!  Happy Spring!

Melissa Meman






6 comments :

  1. I love this post and I'm intrigued by how you made the copper flower. Must try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, great tutorial. I've never made the petals by using a hole punch to start the petal portion, good idea!! I like that you don't have to saw, just can't muster the patience for the jewelers' saw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That copper flower is stunning Melissa - I might just have to give that a go...thank you for sharing the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! love the eye candy and the tutorial is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love this flower pendant. Thanks for the tutorial. Oh, and did I mention I LOVE the flower?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post! Your flower is just gorgeous! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.